Sunday, 25 May 2014


   
Welcome to my blog. This blog has been constructed as part of INF330 Assessment 2. To write a Professional Development Blog about four activities. The four activities covered in this blog will be:
  1.  Diversity – Analyse and evaluate a website designed for children or young adults.
  2. Censorship – Find, read and analyse a peer-reviewed journal article.
  3. Young Peoples Book Awards – Write a book review.
  4. Digital materials/resources and emerging Technologies – Learn how to use a new tool, software, or game, and write about your experience.
Hope you enjoy.




 

“Children should be seen as trusted and knowledgeable partners when to it comes to deciding what is and what is not appropriate for them to read”. (Isajlovic & McKechnic, 2012, p. 42).

1.      Censorship
Find, read and analyse a peer-reviewed journal article.
Title
An Exploratory Study of Children’s views of Censorship
Authors
Natasha Isajlovic-Terry
Lynne McKechnic
Year
2012
Journal
Journal of the Association for Library Services to Children
The journal article that I chose to read and analysis deals with censorship. However in this article it is not the adults that are being asked about censorship it is the children.
“While much literature exists about children, intellectual freedom, and censorship, very little is known about what children themselves think about this topic.” (Isajlovic & McKechnic, 2012, p. 38).
This article talks about a study that was undertaken to answer the question:
“What do children think about censorship of materials that have been developed for or are of interest to them?”  (Isajlovic & McKechnic, 2012, p. 39).  Although a complex question and one that I did wonder how children so young would be able to answer I was both surprised and impressed by how they tackled it.
The investigation included six children aged between nine and twelve years old there were four girls and two boys. The method chosen to carry out the investigation after careful consideration was the focus group interview. “Focus groups create a safe peer environment and replicate the type of small group setting that children are familiar with from their classroom work.” ((Isajlovic & McKechnic, 2012, p. 39).
The study took place over a one hour session where each child was asked about their views of what they should or should not be allowed to read. Whilst an hour might seem like not enough time to come to many conclusions it is interesting to read how much these children are able to give to this investigation in such a short time. Surprisingly the children had a lot to say about this and felt that “censorship was not a favourable practise, some articulated that it sometimes might be necessary. These children were able to identify examples or context where this might be so.”  (Isajlovic & McKechnic, 2012, p.40).
The children although aware of restrictions on what they read through the school library were unconcerned. This was a different story when it came to censorship within other areas. The oldest in the group felt that the “type of material affects the impact on the user and that child would be more negatively affected by violent images in video games and movies than by a similar content in a book”.  (Isajlovic & McKechnic, 2012, p.40).
When it comes to inappropriate content it seems that adults struggle with this a lot more than children do. Adults can tend to pass on their bias to children by imposing restrictions when children are seemingly more open to censorship.
This article for me made me think about my own children and the restrictions we placed on them with movies, games and books. It made me realise that without me actually thinking about censorship I had actually done the same thing. However at the time I was unaware that this is what I had implemented. The surprising thing for me about this article was that I myself had not expected children so young to be aware of these issues. The other part of this whole issue is that I had not given much thought to the fact that it is adults whom impose censorship on children’s books without consideration for what children are able to cope with.
The article relates to censorship from a different perspective, this being that of a child which until now has barely been touched on.
Once I finished this article it made me realise that I too was unaware of a child’s perspective on censorship and although I had known that censorship was a large issue this was something that I know little about. To help with me understanding this issue better I would like to read more about it and perhaps read or investigate what books have been censored.
 
References

Isajlovic-Terry, N., & McKechnie, L. (2012). An Exploratory Study of Children's Views of Censorship. Children & Libraries: The Journal of the Association for Library Service to Children, 10(1), 38-43.
 
 


2.     Diversity
Analyse and evaluate a website designed for children or young adults.
Website
International Children’s Digital Library (ICDL)

The website that I chose to analyse and evaluate is the International Children’s Digital Library (ICDL).

This website has been developed by the ICDL Foundation which is a non-profit organisation. The foundations goal “is to build a collection of books that represents outstanding historical and contemporary books from throughout the world. Ultimately the foundation aspires to have every culture and language represented so that every child can know and appreciate the riches of children’s literature from the world community.” (Mission)

The website has been set up to cater for children between the ages of 3 and 13 from different ethnicities. The site has a variety of eBook’s to suit these age groups in many different languages.

My first impression of this website was that the layout was appealing to the eye especially for children as it was bright, colourful and easy to read. The font was a good size and in well-chosen colours.

There was no need to download a specific application which is great. The site loads pretty quickly and does not seem to need any specific requirements. I noticed that they also have an app you can download for the iPhone and iPad. I thought it would be interesting to see how the iPad app worked so I downloaded this as well and it was quick with no problems. There seems to be no differences between the two which is also very good.

Moving around the website was quite easy and almost instantaneous. However I did wonder how children would go with using the site on their own particularly the younger ones. Younger children would need help from someone older to help navigate the site. I felt that the site could be more appealing to children with the introduction of some sounds or music as they work their way through the site, maybe even the addition of a feature that allows instructions to be spoken or even the eBook to be spoken as this would open the site up to a much wider audience for example the visually impaired. Although the fact that this site is run by a non for profit organisation, inclusions like this could be deemed too expensive.

Whilst there are no interactive features apart from the eBooks on this site, I did however come across an app called StoryKit which is located under the apps for the iPhone and iPad. Once downloaded this allows the child to read the eBooks, edit them or write and illustrate their own book. Within this app a child or adult can add colour, text, sound and/or photos to existing eBooks or their own book. This means that an adult could read the book whilst recording on the app so then a younger child or a visually impaired child can listen to it. Even though this app is easy to use there are no instructions on how to use it which could be a problem for some.

I had looked at this site before and found it interesting but had never spent much time on it so I found the StoryKit app great fun and even had a go at writing my own book all be it a very simple one. This website would appeal to children a diverse range of children those from different ethnicities and if the StoryKit app was used those that are visually impaired.

Even though I enjoyed looking around this website I did feel that some of the books were a bit out-dated and I would be hesitant to recommend it on that basis. Although if you were looking for books for non-English parents to read to their children it may be of use.

 

  References

  Mission. (n.d.). Retrieved May 15, 2014, from International Children's     Digital Library: http://en.childrenslibrary.org/about/mission.shtml
 
3.    Young People’s Book Awards

Write a book review
Title
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
 
Author
Eric Carle
Year
1969

The book I chose to review is The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. This is a book a children’s picture book suite to the younger child. It is a book I read as a child and one that I went on to read to my own children and we still have a copy of it today. This book has won many awards over the years including:
·         New York Times Ten Best Picture Books of the Year 1969.
·         American Institute of Graphic Arts award 1970.
·         Best Children's Books of England 1970.
·     Selection du Grand Prix des Treize, France 1972.
·         Brooklyn Museum Art Books for Children 1973, 1976, 1977.
              ·         Nakamori Reader's Prize, Japan 1975.

This book is available in hard copy, paperback, board book and audio book. The book is illustrated in bright colours and has clear easily read text. The book features different size pages and has a hole punched through them so that the child can visualise the caterpillar eating through the food. The story told is about a caterpillar’s journey from the beginning as an egg through the eating stage of a caterpillar until it becomes in the end a beautiful butterfly.

The story takes you through the days in the life of a caterpillar what they might eat and how much. The bigger the caterpillar gets the more it eats until it stops eating and builds itself a cocoon where it stays for two weeks until it eats its way out and is transformed into a beautiful butterfly.

 This book not only tells a story but also has an educational value as well. The book deals with counting, days of the week and stages of a caterpillar’s life. It has been translated into over 40 different languages.

Even though I had read this book many times before this time I saw it from a whole new perspective. I looked at it as an educational resource as well as a great book to read young children.

It would be a great book to read for story time in a library as you could have the children join in particularly when they are going through the pieces of food that the caterpillar is eating.

I feel that many children’s books were undervalued in the past and in more recent times these books have become more popular as they have much more to offer this particular book is one such book. To revisit some of the books from my childhood would not be wasted as I might now see them in a whole new light.

I have included a YouTube link of the story being read by the author for you all to enjoy.

 
4.  Digital materials/resources and emerging technologies.
Learn how to use a new tool, software, or game, and write about your experience.
EBooks and eBook lending

EBooks are becoming a popular way to read books these days and have shown a steady increase over the last few years. However they still are not increasing in popularity as much as it was first though that they would. Ebooks can be read on; a dedicated eReader, computer, tablet, smart phones or iPad they can be bought or more recently they can be borrowed from the local library. To be able to borrow eBooks from the local library you will need a valid library card and be able to download the eBook onto your device.

I had never completed this myself as I much prefer to read a hard copy of a book. For this activity I decided that borrowing an eBook form the local library and downloading onto my iPad was a chance to learn a new skill.

My local library had a section of their website dedicated to eCollections in this section you can find; eBooks, eAudiobooks and eMagazines. I have chosen to borrow an eBook. I went to the eBook collections once in here there was a choice of two eBook collections axis360 eBooks or Bolinda eBooks. Both collections were suitable for all ages and offered fiction and non-fiction books. My decision was to use the axis360 eBook collection, now I had a choice of apps depending on the device I was using so I chose the one specifically for apple products. Once I clicked on this I came across a page with step by step instructions (3 steps in all). Firstly I downloaded from iPad apps the name of the app was blio once this was completed I had to go to the blio webpage to register. Once registration is complete return to the libraries website go back into the asix360 collections and tap on the book you wish to borrow. Then you need to:

·         add it to your cart

·         checkout

·         put in your library card number and pin

·         then log back into the blio site

Finally the book is mine to read.

From this experience I learned that even though eBooks and borrowing are the future I remain unconvinced of whether I would change my reading habits just yet. To actually borrow an eBook for the first time it can take a while depending on how quickly your device allows you to down load. Maybe follow up books might not take so long as you are already registered on a site. But for me by the time I had finished the process I could have been and borrowed the book from the library and already been reading as when I thought I had finally gained access to the book there were to be more problems and errors as it finished downloading.

The eBook I down loaded was a children’s book and as this is to be related to children I thought that would give me a chance to see how easy the process would be. For a child to do this who knows they may have been better at it than I was but for younger children in particular they would need a parent to carry out the process.

Maybe using a different app next time may prove to be more successful and may change the way I think about the process at present.
 
 





















































No comments:

Post a Comment